Posted by: FireProof | 2009-02-04

Whenever I lift weights, particularly bicep curls, the bones in my forearms are extremely painful. This pain is reminiscent of when I had shin splints. I follow a healty diet, do not smoke or drink but am taking a creatine supplement, and following a body building workout (few sets of heavy weights, usually 2 sets of 15) Any connection, and if not, what can I do about this?

It could be an acute problem, which would be caused by lifting a weight that's just too heavy for you right now. Remember that the bones are still supporting the weight, because the muscle is attached to either end of it and runs along its surface. So if you lift too heavy, you can cause this problem.

So if that's the case (that it's just happens while lifting), then it's likely because you're lifting too heavy, and just need to back off by 20% and build up.

If it's a chronic problem, then you should perhaps look at reducing the frequency of training, so that you have more rest in the week. That means reducing the overall volume of training - three days a week, instead of four, for example, would work.

Posted by: FireProof | 2009-02-06

I' m 22... I' ve been doing fewer weights that cause the pain, I also think that it must be the heavy weights... was just worried if its cause for concern

Reply to FireProof
Posted by: Xmetal | 2009-02-06

How old are you? What a Dr told me years ago, when I had the same problem, is that your muscles might be getting stronger than the bone, and therefore you do get " shin splints"  in your forearms. Only rest will cure, and going easy on the heavy lifting.

Reply to Xmetal