Posted by: dolly | 2009-08-23

Armpit flab

Please please help me with some advice on how to firm/tone up that horrible area just above the breast ,where breast and armpit meet...It' s become so flabby,and I have no idea how to get rid of it...I do exercise..
I am Female and do not want to do to many push ups,as I don' t want build up my chest and shoulders to much...As I have pretty broad shoulders as is..

any exercises that are good for targeting that area.

Thank you kindly,

Hi Dolly

This is perhaps the most common question, even those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms, like you.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million push-ups a day is not the sole solution, and nor are thousands of gym exercises for the chest or shoulders. They certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes push-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing push-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different muscles of the arm - it doepends whether you are at a gym or not. If you are, then I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.