Question
Posted by: ernst | 2011/03/01

argus with diabetic 2

tested +ve for diabetic 2.Use x2 glucophase tablets per day.32 GI low GI endurance energy while cycling.feel dizzy by times.At moment glucode reading of 4.2.Varies by times from 2.2-12.1.Help me with answer and diet for argus.15th argus.

Hi Ernst

Difficult to answer without more information and I don't fully understand from your email what happens and when. I gather you get dizzy, but does that happen right away, after a few hours, on hard rides only? Do you take the tablets before you train? Do you eat before? When do you use the GI energy sachets?

The key is that you have to practice balancing medication with exercise. The tablets are designed to help lower your blood glucose levels. And exercise does the same thing - it causes glucose to enter the cells, which means the blood levels fall. Therefore, you need to be careful about combining them. It may be that you need to delay taking the tablets until after exercise is done. Or take only one. Again, I don't know the timelines or the timing of your exercise vs your dizziness vs when you take those tablets.

But generally speaking, you'd need to decrease the medication before exercise, because exercise is going to amplify its effect, and that causes dizziness. This is something you might want to discuss with your doctor, but also something to practice prior to the race and make sure you get right - we're all different, so different strategies work for each of us.

3
Posted by: Rob | 2013/12/19

Hi Ernst 32Gi Endurance drink is an amazing product and is suitable for diabetics. I am not diabetic and it is my endurance racing product of choice. A friend who is diabetic uses it for her marathon running. I find it is excellent for regulating my blood sugar levels and it prevents a drop in sugar levels with the negative side effects. I buy mine here: http://www.myhealthonline.co.za/browse-our-products/32gi-sports-products-37/endurance-products/32gi-endurance-drink-1kg.html Some more blurb on the product for your info: 32Gi Low GI Endurance Energy Drink is different from conventional high GI endurance sports drinks. Its unique formulation helps your body release the exact amount of glucose you need for sustained energy. At the same time it promotes fat store tapping to deliver the balance of the energy. The result is a longer lasting more balanced energy supply. 32Gi Endurance Drink Facts: - Low GI - Energy level stabilizer - Non-Spiking - Tooth friendly - Assists in promoting fat burn - Isotonic (contains necessary electrolytes for rehydration) - Tastes great - Can be pre-mixed or frozen before an event - Comes in 4 flavours: Orange, Raspberry, Peach & Lime - Is available in a neutral flavour which contains no flavourants or colourants - Suitable for children & diabetics - Kosher / Halaal Certified - Available in single serving sachets Who should use 32Gi Endure Drink? An athlete that wants to maintain a more balanced energy supply without the effects of spiking and dropping will find Endure to be a very suitable energy drink. When doing endurance events you are not performing at an excessively high intensity, this allows your fat stores to come into play as a primary source of energy for the muscles. Endure will not inhibit fat store access due to its low insulin spike. The product is very suitable for athletes who are weight conscious due to its ability to balance your energy levels thereby mitigating excessive hunger cravings. It is suitable for athletes of all ages and can be used in any sport from weightlifting, rugby, soccer and cricket all the way up to ultra-distance events such as marathons and Ironman’s.

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Rob | 2013/12/19

Reply to Rob
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/03/03

Hi Ernst

Reply to fitnessdoc