Posted by: tobie | 2009-07-28

i married with 3 children for 9yrs my husband bought me a car,which i appreciated it,he got promotion in his company he works stand-by once a month,im staying with my 13 months baby,i usually borrow him the car when on stand-by.he told me last week that the manager complain saying he should come to work I hr early he usually goes to work at 07h00 using a bus from that compa.he has the car now and he wants to buy himself a car i asked him to wait until we finish building our home this december,so he refuses and say he will do them both,he is paying for my car, i dont hav a problem with him to use the car,we fight if i disagreed with him,please help, we are now staying in a two room house and a shack(kitchen)imaging parking 2 beautiful cars,i want what best for my children(family)

Lets see what other readers can suggest here, to be helpful. I understand your reasons for being inancially cautious. Is the company complaining that he arrives later than has always been expected, or is it now wanting him to come in earlier than other workers ? If the company provides a bus to bring workers in, which he uses, why do they want him to arrive earlier than the others ? Don't they provide a car allowance if they want someone available at different hours ? You'd need to discuss with your ban whether you two can afford to buy another car. Is it possible for you to drop him at work,, for instance ? Your concerns are very reasonable ; it sounds as though his work has been pressing him and he may even be scared of losing his job --- discuss this calmly with him

Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2009-07-29

Sorry, meant to say 2 children and a baby. And wanted to add: You can also put it to him that if he waits, he will be able to pay off the car faster and save interest, a significant saving.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2009-07-29

Sorry Stiefie, don' t agree with you. I think Tobie has a very reasonable request. The man has a duty to his family. Yes, he works hard, but that is all the more reason why he would want to finish paying off the house, before getting a new car - for the sake of his family. And in fact, with 3 children AND a baby, Tobie works hard too.

A house is a WAY better investment than a car and may in fact be a much better way to be able to afford a car and still comfortably provide for the family. He will just need to postpone his wanting a car for a bit, but it will really pay off in the long run. I mean it' s only a matter of 5 months! A car depreciates so fast. Besides, he will get a better deal at the end of the year as the company gets new models in and are keen to sell this years'  models. (We bought a new car that way.)

Tobie, hope this gives you some " reasons"  to discuss this with him and present your side.. You could try saying that you think he does he deserve the car, but it really would be so much better at the end of the year. Would that help and would he respond to that?

That' s my 2c worth in any case...

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: Stiefie | 2009-07-28

The man works hard can' t he buy himself a car if he believes he can afford it?

Give the man a break.

Reply to Stiefie