Question
Posted by: Micky B | 2010/05/26

Are SA cereals vegan?

All South African cereals are fortified with calcium, B vitamins, iron, etc, bu''t I''ve never seen the vegetarian / vegan mark on any of them. Most breads state their vegetarian status, though.
How do you know where the vitamins &  minerals they are fortified with obtained from? Can the E-codes help?

Dear Micky B
In this case I would recommend that you phone the various breakfast cereal manufacturers (they usually have a helpline) and ask them directly what sources they use for their fortification. I would think that the minerals are chelated salts and the vitamins are probably derived from microorganisms. The E-codes usually indicate what colourants have been used.
Hope you can sort this out

1

Dear Micky B
Hope you can sort this out