Question
Posted by: hi | 2011-04-05

are nuts healthy?

hi just wanted to ask you, I like nuts very much and tend to eat them during the day, and especially just before bed time, could it cause weight gain? I would actually like to loose a bit of weight and I started to change my eating by not eating " junk food" , but now it seems that nuts are kind of replacing them, I am a bit afraid that with high content of fat in nuts might actaully cause weight gain. how much of it is not too much?

Dear Hi
In general, any food when eaten in excess has the potential of causing weight gain. Foods that have a high energy content such as nuts. If we use peanuts as an example, the SA Food Tables list peanuts as containing 2431 kJ and 49.3 g of fat per 100g. A standard portion of peanuts weighing 30g (2 tablespoons) would thus contain 729 kJ and 14.8 g of fat. So depending on how many grams of peanuts you eat in a day you could increase your energy intake above the level required to either maintain weight or promote weightloss. In general, nuts are a healthy food being rich in monounsaturated fats, but I agree that they do have a high energy content. If you ingest 1 x 30g a day this should not affect your energy intake too negatively - 729 kJ represents 11,6% of your daily recommended energy intake if you a woman and are trying to lose weight (i.e. 6300 kJ/day) or 8.7% of your energy intake if you not trying to lose weight (i.e. 8400 kJ per day).

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-04-06

Dear Hi