Posted by: Anon | 2012-10-02

Are my lungs ok ?

I smoke a pack a day (20) and have been for the last 20 years. I have been wondering if I should go for a lung function test. I can still do the following and would like to know if that is a good sign that my lung health is good: I can swim underwater for 35 metres without taking a breath and I dont feel out of breath, I can inflate a rubber boat with only my breath alone and no pump needed and I can stay still underwater for about 2 minutes without breathing. Is that ok ?

You are probably smoking fit. This does not mean that your lungs are OK. You are probably suffering from underlying emphyzema or chronic obstructive lung disease. You might not present with these symptoms yet but if you keep on smoking, you will definately start having these symptoms within the next two to five years. As a smoker, your risk for lung disease is statistically 100% after 20 years of smoking. Your cardiovascular and stroke risk is at least 8 to 12 fold more than that of a non-smoker. This is a situation where the cliche counts to quit smoking while you are still ahead.

Posted by: old anxious | 2012-10-10

There is substantial medical evidence that smoking has NO good sides to it - NOT 1. My step-dad was a very heavy smoker from high school age. He did finally stop - but was ultimately diagnosed with chronic emphysema - when he was diagnosed with this condition in 2008, he had already stopped smoking 16 years! but the damage was already done! He was on 24hr oxygen with multiple inhalers - but his lungs couldn''t cope - sadly he passed away in 2010 - it was pure hell for our family. Bottom line - cigarette companies are pure murderers - smokers just cant admit that they have become addicted to this criminal product or don''t want to or cant quit - exactly what the companies want!

Reply to old anxious
Posted by: Anon | 2012-10-02

I also have not had a common cold in 3 years and have not had a chest infection since 8 yrs ago.