Question
Posted by: Suzie | 2010/12/01

Are Jehovah Witnesses perfect?

Dear Cybershrink
My friend who is a Jehova''s Witness says that the people belonging to this faith are all perfect in their day to day behaviour. You would never find anyone cheating on his wife, or even having coffee with a person of the opposite sex. He says that if you are in that community you do not need anything else from life as all your needs are met there and it is not necessary to mix with people not beloning to the faith. All other churches and spiritual communities are basically " pick-up joints"  because people make passes at other people there, where something like that will never happen at a Witness meeting.
I just want to know, are these people really as perfect and ethical in their behaviour? Has anyone ever met a cheating Jehova''s Witness, or a fraudulent one? Can ordinary people of flesh and blood really be so perfect? And is it possible to prevent all infidelity and other evils in the world by strictly regulating people''s actions?
Thanks so much.

Jehova may be perfect ; the Witnesses not so.
If this group keeps contacts mainly within the group, then instances of good conduct are really rumour and/or advertising, and instances of bad behaviour would not be reasily known by the rest of us, and more easily kept secret.
History is full of the stories of groups, cults and sects who boasted of perfect conduct, which included in their number hypocrites and people who behaved badly and ignored the rules of their group.

12
Posted by: I am one of Jehovah''s Witnesses | 2010/12/02

To start - I agree with Mandy - you DO get holier than thou ppl everywhere....

To set the record straight. NO ONE is actually perfect. According to the Bible, no one living today CAN be by virtue of the fact that Adam and Eve sinned and therefore fell from perfection. And i think your claim that your colleage says we are " perfect"  is taken out of context.

This is what we CAN make claim to : Every human on earth has choices. Choices are based on values and values are (often) based on the religion a person belongs to. Bible based morality is what we STRIVE to achieve - it is a CHOICE that we make to NOT entertain flirtatious behavior at work for example, to say no to overdrinking and the like. It doesnt make us perfect BUT because we have consideration, love and respect for the standards that our Creator has given us through the Bible - we do our best to adhere to those standards, remembering who we are trying to please.

Many people today dont place as much emphasis on moral issues, such as sex before marriage etc - why? because of modern/cultural/popular standards of society - which are seen as being the more correct than say, God''s standards.

At the end of the day, no one is perfect, but making the correct (and beneficial) choices in life help us A LOT.

Mistakes do happen - BUT unlike most, it isnt condoned if someone has done something deliberately and repeatedly wrong. People have done wrong things but here''s the difference - repentance and reform.

No, we are not perfect. But really if we are true to our beliefs, we wont mug you, rear end you or flip you the bird. We try to be decent human beings. We try our best - that is all.

How much easier would it be to say " I''m entitled to swear whomever i want"  or " Finder''s keepers"  or " My wife will never know" ??? Make a GOOD choice and stick by it. We dont make excuses for WILLFULL bad behavior.

Cheers all and thanks for reading.

Reply to I am one of Jehovah''s Witnesses
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/12/02

No one is perfect, this guy is obviously one who thinks he''s ''holier than thou''- you get them everywhere and it''s unfair to paint them all with the same brush. I work with one and I do Bible Study with one (I was raised Catholic) and the one I do the study with is cool- she hangs out with me on a non study basis, she parties (within limits) and the one I work is a bit vindictive I think but they aren''t bad people. And ''Oh Please'', if you bothered to crawl out your narrow mind you''d understand the whole blood thing. They understand the Bible very well and the whole thing about limited space in heaven is in every Bible.

Reply to Mandy
Posted by: just saying! | 2010/12/02

Then I am mother nature ...lol
what a load of crap.. no one is perfect..

Reply to just saying!
Posted by: Cmon | 2010/12/01

Cmon now, do you really need to ask this.. He is tallking bullshit.

Reply to Cmon
Posted by: Candy | 2010/12/01

Perfect??? Wow!!! Okay so he says they don''t mix with other. Why then is he your friend.

My childhood best friend is Johavah''s witness. They lived right next door to us. I remember when we used to play together how they would tell me of how " perfect"  they were. How the world was coming to an end and how my Family and I would die and go to hell cuz were are Catholics. Unfortunately my parents got divorced due to them not being able to life together. And Oh what a big thing that was as now they had commited the ultimate sin. My friend and her family later moved away but always kept the lily white apperence for all to see.

I however knew little intricate detail of that househould. like how her father was an alcoholic, how hhe used to beat up her mother, how her brother had affair after affairs (but hey they where going to heaven) Finally her mother had enough and divorced ther dad. And suprise suprise He actually lived a double life and had a complate second family with kids and all. He moved back nextdoor to us with the new family Well that didn''t last cuase now he lives all on his own.

So I ask again ARE Johovah''s witneeses perfect??? Well I don''t know. I''m Catholic and we sure as hell ain''t perfect what with priest rape young boys......

Reply to Candy
Posted by: Red | 2010/12/01

People like that live in the dark ages.

Reply to Red
Posted by: Maria | 2010/12/01

I know a couple. They are DEFINITELY not perfect.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Liesel | 2010/12/01

My Sis in law''s mom is a Jehovah and boy does she SIN..........Drink and smoke like there''s no tomorrow and gosh can THEY SWEAR!!!!!!!!
So no they are NOT PERFECT, no one is

Reply to Liesel
Posted by: Oh Please | 2010/12/01

I dont know them too well, I close my door in there faces when they come knocking. They also say there is minimal space in heaven and only a certain amount of people will make it up. So I ask you, if they are perfect and there is only a ceratin amount of space in heaven what will happen if there are more "  Perfect "  people than space in heaven.

Dont get the not accepting blood for transfusion thing either !

Reply to Oh Please
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010/12/01

If they are so perfect, why do they pass out flyers with mangled bible verses?

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Woman | 2010/12/01

There is no human being who is perfect. Those who think they''re perfect and who think they know everything, have a BIIIIIIG surprise waiting for them.

Reply to Woman