Posted by: Mike | 2011-08-03

Are energy products for gym bad for the heart?

Dear Dr.

I have been gyming at an advanced level for the last 10 years, mainly bodybuilding. Over the last 2 years or so, i have been taking " pre-workout"  supplements which i have purchased from pharmacies and gym shops. I never take more than the recommended doses, but i do feel with some of them that my heart pumps a bit harder and faster and i get a " tingling"  feeling on my face.
Since i have started taking these products, my workouts have been amazing and the results i have been getting are better than ever.
I don''t drink or smoke at all, and i eat a very well ballanced and healthy diet. I am in the shape of my life both with how i am looking and how i am feeling, however i am a bit concerned that these products are doing damage to my heart, mainly based on what other guys in and around the gyms have told me.
Should this be a concern to me?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Mike

you don't specify which particular products you are using, but I don't think the names are important.

I'm not aware of any evidence that these products can cause damage to the heart. However I should also say that I'm not aware of any good evidence they helpd! If you are in the shape of your life, I very much suspect the credit is due to your own hard work. The claims of the manufacturers of these products may often be based on very uncertain evidence. They do after all have an incentive to market their products!

I also very much doubt the symptoms you describe are anything to do with the products you've been using.

Sorry to be so sceptical but well done on what you have achieved. Its you who deserve the credit, not the supplements!

Posted by: Joan Yarnold | 2011-10-05

also have your cholestrl checked - i know someone who was using products before exercising and found out that it was pushing his cholestrol up

Reply to Joan Yarnold