Posted by: Pam | 2008-11-03

Archillies Tendon

How does one treat sore Archillies Tendons? i am a road runner and am battling with pain on the Tendons durring and after running. I have been a runner for many years and have not had this problem before> 

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Pam

Painful Achilles tendons (Achilles tendonopathy) is a common running injury but can be complicated to treat. There are many factors which could have caused it. Have you recently increased your mileage or the terrain you run on? Have you recently changed shoes? Maybe the shoes are just worn out. Do you stretch before and after running? My advice is to see a physio to help heal the injury and possibly a podiatrist to assess which shoe and/or insole you need to fix this and prevent it from coming back. Make sure the person you go and see is a runner. Only someone who understands running and runners will appreciate how important your running is to you!