Question
Posted by: fearful | 2011/07/30

appreciate your advice

Hi. I need help but am not sure anyone can help. I am getting a phobia of leaving my house, in fact bedroom. I become nauseous, fear starts building up and I struggle to do the basics such as personal hygiene. I become so afraid that I end up tightly curled up in my duvet. I am going for CBT therapy once a week. Therapy has helped and I dont want to terminate but i become so helpless and fearful that I keep on cancelling sessions at the last minute. I am bipolar with traits of borderline. I do a lot of research in order to help me understand. i dont like what Ive read about borderlines and am trying to change my way of thinking. Prof, how does one know when one is having a breakdown? My mood changes so many times and i dont know whether i am trying to play victim or not. I dont think I am but what if im wrong? How would I know? I am in the process of applying to be boarded and the stress is getting to me. I am anxious about having to go to work on Monday as I was booked off this week by my psychiatrist who has increased my meds. Like I told my psychologist - I think therapy has unleased the dark side of me that has always been there but which I managed to hide from everyone else. How do I continue when I have been taken over by fear and everything feels out of control? Do you think I can overcome this? Can you give advice on how to?

I fully understand how unpleasant and strange this is for you, but fortunately this is a very well recognized condition which responds really well to proper treatment. CBT is certainly one of the elements of successful treatment, and you should persevere with it. But you should also see a psychiatrist for further assessment and a consideration of adding some medications, including some also used to treat Depression, which can help a great deal to reduce the anxiety components of this disorder. Then I notice later in your message you mention seeing a psychiatrist and receiving meds. Persevere !
This is not ( unless there are many other features you haven't mentioned ) Borderline Psersonality Disorder, and a personality disorder doesn't have such a sudden onset - and often, it is other people who suffer from your Personality Disorder more than you do !
Phobic Anxiety Disorder is a clear variety of problem on its own, though also related to both Depression and other anxiety Disorders.
"Breakdown" is a popular term but with no actual specific definition or meaning within psychiatry. I suppose if anything it means finding yourself despairing about the effects of any psych disorder, and feeling pessimistic about recovering ( though recovery is the usual outcome, in fact ! )
The medicines should help bring this under control, and the CBT should help progressively to enable you to regain contol of this and any other future situations.

1