Question
Posted by: G | 2011-07-04

appreciate your advice

Hi Prof
I have posted the same post to cyberdoc as I am not sure which one of you is the correct person to ask.
I hope you are able to offer advice. But, the thing is I don''''t know where to start in order to make sense to you. I am not someone that''''s looking for attention or someone that pretends to be sick etc. I know I am not "  stupid"  but at the same time I know there is something not quit right going on inside my head. Most times it feels as if something is just not connecting. I work like a robot. I do what I have to do but dont know why I do it and can''''t explain myself. I continously misfile important docs/files. I put things away and can''''t recall where. I am doing the same work (which I enjoy) for 13yrs but it feels as if I am going to work for the first time every day. Words/instructions bounce off my head. I hide papers away in my drawer and eventually end up throwing them away because I don''''t know where to file them. Typing and filing are my main duties. How can I feel competent and totally incompetent at the same time. I function like a robot - do what i''''m told but otherwise can''''t think for myself. My mind goes blank when I hear numbers. I take messages but before I put the phone down i''''ve forgotten what the message was about. My memory is not good at recalling stuff. Sometimes I write a message down, repeating what the caller is saying, but when I put the phone down, I can''''t make out my handwriting! There are times when I am coping although I don''''t feel normal but I don''''t mind - it''''s the times when I don''''t know what I''''m doing (despite it being my duties for 13yrs), that has me very worried. What/who must I see for some help? I have no confidence left because I doubt everything I do and immediately accepts responsibility for anything that goes wrong as I can''''t recall. I triple check my typing but it comes back with careless, overlooked errors. I switch numbers around despite talking to myself as I am writing them down. The frustrating part is that I can deliver a good service one day and the next my mind is completely chaotic and I feel like a foreigner from another country not able to speak/understand the language. Surely this can''''t be normal? I''''m not stupid but I feel like the stupidest person in the entire world. I am at the stage of losing my job. What is wrong with me? How can I find out if there is anything wrong?? I am tired of no one believing me because I come cross as being okay and too hard on mysel THANK YOU for reading/responding.

OK, this is understandably worrying for you, as it woul be for anyone. And whatever this is, it's not a typical, easily diagnosed condition. It sems to involve a range of problems within your abilities to remember and organize your thoughts. The wisest thing would be to arange to see first a good local Neurologist ( an expert in brain function ) and also a psychiatrist, for a thorough assessment, perhaps also involving a neuro-psychologist to do a bunch of useful tests, to reach an acurate diagnosis of the nature of these problems. Only then can one usefully discuss, as they would then do with you, treatment options to improve the situation.
As you have apparently been doing this work for 13 years, and still hold down the job, maybe your work isn't as bad as you feel sure it is - or maybe with this problem improved, you could be phenominally excellent at the work !

2
Posted by: Maria | 2011-07-04

That does indeed sound very worrying G. Has it always been like this, or has there been periods where you were stable and functioning well? It sounds as if you should see a psychiatrist and/or neurologist to help you find the source of this problem.

Reply to Maria