Question
Posted by: G | 2011-07-02

Appreciate your advice

Hi Dr
I hope you are able to offer advice. But, the thing is I don''t know where to start in order to make sense to you. I am not someone that''s looking for attention or someone that pretends to be sick etc. I know I am not " stupid"  but at the same time I know there is something not quit right going on inside my head. Most times it feels as if something is just not connecting. I work like a robot. I do what I have to do but dont know why I do it and can''t explain myself. I continously misfile important docs/files. I put things away and can''t recall where. I am doing the same work (which I enjoy) for 13yrs but it feels as if I am going to work for the first time every day. Words/instructions bounce off my head. I hide papers away in my drawer and eventually end up throwing them away because I don''t know where to file them. Typing and filing are my main duties. How can I feel competent and totally incompetent at the same time. I function like a robot - do what i''m told but otherwise can''t think for myself. My mind goes blank when I hear numbers. I take messages but before I put the phone down i''ve forgotten what the message was about. My memory is not good at recalling stuff. Sometimes I write a message down, repeating what the caller is saying, but when I put the phone down, I can''t make out my handwriting! There are times when I am coping although I don''t feel normal but I don''t mind - it''s the times when I don''t know what I''m doing (despite it being my duties for 13yrs), that has me very worried. What/who must I see for some help? I have no confidence left because I doubt everything I do and immediately accepts responsibility for anything that goes wrong as I can''t recall. I triple check my typing but it comes back with careless, overlooked errors. I switch numbers around despite talking to myself as I am writing them down. The frustrating part is that I can deliver a good service one day and the next my mind is completely chaotic and I feel like a foreigner from another country not able to speak/understand the language. Surely this can''t be normal? I''m not stupid but I feel like the stupidest person in the entire world. I am at the stage of losing my job. What is wrong with me? How can I find out if there is anything wrong?? I am tired of no one believing me because I come cross as being okay and too hard on mysel THANK YOU for reading/responding.

I suggest that you consult a neurologist and psychiatrist for a full examination to exclude any pathological reason for your symptoms. A full work-up is warranted.