Question
Posted by: Denise | 2010-10-21

Apple cider vinegar lowers GI?

Dear DietDoc

I was surprised to read that adding apple cider vinegar to foods like beans lowers their GI. Is this true, and how does the principle work? Also, do other condiments like balsamic vinegar / red wine vinegar have the same effect? And does this only apply to legumes or to other foods, say rice or potatoes, as well?

Dear Denise
All vinegars that you list will lower the GI of a food or a meal. The vinegar seems to slow down the absorption of carbohydrates which will then cause a more gradual increase in blood glucose levels and also not overstimulate your insulin secretion. Maintaining steady blood glucose and insulin levels will in turn promote weightloss. The principle applies to any carbohydrates, vegetables, legume or salad. For example acid sorghum porridge which is eaten in some parts of this country has a lower GI than standard cooked sorghum porridge.

2
Posted by: Denise | 2010-10-21

Thanks DietDoc! This is really useful information. I will pass this on to my dad as well & mdash  he is a type 1 diabetic and will find this information interesting.

Reply to Denise
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-21

Dear Denise