Question
Posted by: Minks | 2008/09/27

Apple Cider Vinegar

Does Apple Cider Vinegar assist in losing weight or does it just mess with one' s metabolism. I moved to the US 9 months ago and have put on some weight, due to lots of work, change in diet etc, i was wondering if taking this supplement would help me at all??

Dear Minks
There is no scientific proof that taking apple cider vinegar will assist with weightloss or 'mess with your metabolism'. It is after all just a vinegar, so it is harmless, but not an effective dieting aid. Lose weight by reducing your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Enjoy the USA!

1
Posted by: Nancy | 2008/09/28

I tried apple cider vinegar and it didn' t work. The claims on the bottle are not true. The only way to lose weight is to reduce your calorie intake. Maybe try a diet shake for a while to replace some of your meals. Dieting is very hard if you constantly think about it - how fat you' ve become etc. Try to get a distraction - anything. And clean-up your environment. Throw away the temptations. Decide to change and just do it. What works for me - as a refreshment is boiling green tea, allowing it to cool down and then mixing it with diet lemonade,lots of ice, a little honey and lemon. And you can drink it during the day with each meal. It fills me up and takes away some of my cravings. There' s no short-cut.

Reply to Nancy