Question
Posted by: Angie | 2010/06/01

Appetite stimulants

My 72 yr old dad has been very ill with flu, gastro, high blood sugar and an imbalance of bacteria in the intestine from the antibiotics. He has no appetite at all. I am battling to get any food into him. I am giving food supplements and lots of fluids for now. But I really would like him to take solid food. What can I do to stimulate his appetite and build his strength?

Dear Angie
I am so sorry to hear that you dear Dad has been so ill. I trust that he is taking probiotics ("good microorganisms") to restore the imbalance of bacteria in his intestines. Intestiflora is particularly good for restoring the natural flora of the digestive tract after gastro and/or antibiotic treatment. You can purchase Intestiflora at health shops. When you change over from the liquid meal supplements, do adhere to his diabetic diet prescription because illnesses tend to make blood sugar control difficult and the sooner he can get back to eating his balanced diabetic diet the better. If he has not yet been given a specific diabetic diet prescription by a dietitian then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will also be able to assess your Dad's condition to see if he requires vitamin and mineral supplements such as Diabion which is specifically designed for diabetics.
Holding thumbs for both of you

1

Dear Angie
Holding thumbs for both of you