Question
Posted by: Post Baby | 2010/02/17

Appetite

I' m 36 years old, 160cm tall and weigh 90kgs. I find that I am extremely tired lately and my body has recently started aching - I believe it is due to the extra weight that I am now carrying - I am heavier that I was when I was pregnant with twins (they are now 9 months old). I' ve tried a low GI diet as I was breastfeeding but seem to be getting nowhere as I am hungry all the time. I am not able to sustain my satiety with meal plans that have previously worked for me before. I will be stopping breastfeeding in a months time am considering using appetite suppresants to help control my appetite. Other than low blood pressure I am generally healthy. Is there any suppresant that you can recommend?

Dear Post Baby
Congratulations on the birth of the twins! I think most mothers who have to look after two tiny children will suffer from exhaustion and feel tired and battered! However, it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup just to make sure that you are not suffering from any underlying condition like hypothyroidism or insulin resistance (which would also promote weight gain). Did you obtain your low-GI diet from a dietitian? If not, please do see a dietitian because you need to use a low-fat-, low-GI, energy-reduced diet to lose weight. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will work out a specific diet prescription for you. Also click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. After the current Simply Slim scandal, I would not like to recommend that you use any appetite suppressants because they all have highly negative side-effects. Rather use the suggested diet and start doing regular exercise every day. If you can't get time to go to a good gym because of the twins, then put them in a pram and go for a brisk walk with them every day for 30 min or longer. The fresh air will do you all good and the exercise will stimulate your metabolism. Another type of exercise that you can easily do at home is to buy a skipping rope and start skipping every day. Start slowly for a short time and then increase how fast and long you skip as you get fitter and lose weight.
Wishing you an the twins all the best

1

Dear Post Baby
Wishing you an the twins all the best