Question
Posted by: Moo | 2011/03/22

Apparently it isn''t PCOS, but what is it?

Hi Doc.

When I was 16 I had bad skin, excess body hair, strange discharges and very irregular periods. I was put on Marvelon by a gynaecologist. My symptoms got much better, although my skin only cleared up with the help of Roacutane and I continued to gain most of my weight in my abdomen.

At 21 I went to a gynae in my university town who was very well versed in hormonal disorders and, after an internal sonar, made a diagnosis of PCOS. I continued to take the Marvelon until last year (my 29th). When I moved, this doctor recommended one in my new town.

I approached this new doctor when I wanted to try for a family. I stopped the Marvelon for about 9 months and went back after that period. Since then my skin, irregular periods and abdominal weight gain have gotten considerably worse.

This doctor did an internal sonar and blood tests and said that although I''m so irregular, and although my insulin and testosterone levels are raised, it''s not PCOS. It wasn''t clear if he feels it never was, or just isn''t anymore since I''ve come off the Pill.

What frustrates me is that he doesn''t seem at all concerned with what it may be. He just sent me away with a prescription for a pill to make me ovulate - I''m supposed to take it on day three of my next period but goodness only knows when that will be. He prescribed something to make me menstruate but it didn''t have any effect other than bad PMS cramping and bloating for one day with no bleeding (the pharmacist did express surprise that he prescribed 5 days'' worth and not 10). I''m afraid I can''t remember what it was and I''m not at home at the moment to check.

I obtained my bloodwork reports from the lab. I am unsure what to do. Do I go back to a doctor whom I no longer feel confident with? Can I send my results to my old doctor for an interpretation, and does this place him in an akward position? Should I send them to an endicrinologist instead? Or should I just try and find a new gynie and hope for the best?

Please advise, as it leaves me very uncomfortable not knowing what is wrong with me.

It sounds to me like you do have PCOS - this isn't something that changes. Your new doctor is right in his management, in that you would need medication to make you ovulate, after bringing on a period. If the pills have not brought on a period, then there could be something else going on and you should go back to your doctor and tell him this. You may then need to go on the Pill for a month to bring on a period. If there is a fertility expert in your town, you may want to consult him/her.

2

Posted by: Sue | 2011/03/23

Sounds like you definitely need a second opinion. You''re paying your doc to listen to you &  help you get better, not to dismiss your worries as if they''r enothing. It really sounds like something hormomal is going on here, so I don''t think you should give up - keep asking questions, and see someone else! Maybe also to have your thyroid and adrenal glands tested...

Reply to Sue