Question
Posted by: mimi | 2011/09/08

Aortic valve repair

Hi Doc , please may I have your opinion. I had my aortic valve repaired in 2009 , at the time the surgeon told me that the repaired valve should last me for 10 years when I should go back for a mechanical valve, I go for yearly check ups at my dr so we are monitoring the situation , a huge benefit is that I dont have to take any meds at this stage , in your opion , would you say that 10years is more or less how long these repaired valves last ? I am 33years old , I am a bit overweight but I excercise at least 3 times a day for an hour, I have recently started to follow a healty eating plan. Thank you

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Mimi

As Yogi Berra said "Making predictions is difficult - especially about the future"...!

Firstly I presume you do mean repair, not replacement? Aortic valve repair is an uncommon operation: Most people who have aortic valve surgery end up with a replacement not a repair, so few people have much experience of the durability of aortic valve repairs.

Secondly, I would need a lot more information about your valve before making a comment, and even then would be hesitant to make a prediction! Does it leak? Is it narrowed? Etc etc.

The important thing is to see a cardologist at least once a year to have an echo and monitor the degree of narrowing of the valve, if any, the extent to which it leaks, if at all, and how the function of the valve is affecting the heart muscle. Your cardiologist will be able to advise you when a replacement is necessary.

Sorry not to be able to be more helpful.

JT

2
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/09/14

Hi Mimi

JT

Reply to Cardiologist
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2011/09/12

Hi Mimi,

Just from one valve repair patient to another (I had mitral valve repair done 2008 and was 31 at that stage) a pig or cow valve normally needs replacement after 10 years+ but I have not heard of repairs needing replacement afterwards...

It would be interesting to see what Cardio-Doc is going to say.

I know it is horrible to have these kind of ops when you are young. Just know that you are not alone.

All the best,

Reply to Gesiggie