Posted by: Sianne | 2012-10-25

Aortic Stenosis - total confusion

Hi, please help me Doc I am so confused:
My mom - 70, Diabetic Type II (late 40''s) on Bigsens
Her cholesterol blood tests showed 1.1. and 3 on Monday and indeed the same for the past 4 years.
She has controlled BP, controlled Diabetes, Controlled Cholesterol on stattin. Saw cardiologist 5 years ago. Blood tests for heart were fine. Monday stress ECG showed abnormality. Off to cardio. We are totally shocked, she having stents put in tomorrow. Her father had agina. I am now told the only way to pick this up is to hear it stethoscope (well they heard nothing) or a chest sonar never done. She has had 8 ops in 3 yrs: hip replacement, rotator cuff tendon, arthoscopy, total knee replacement, cataracts and lens, bursar removal fm hip, cutting of ilial tibial strap. How come the anethetist or all those specialists missed it.
Is it fair to say that by far and large blood tests (the full not the pin prick) are inconclusive and you must have a sonar. I wonder how many people run around thinking they are fine like we did and meanwhile...
Is it like they now tell you to have a mammogram and a sonar as the mammo alone is not good enough?
My own cholesterol is elevated and I am off to see the same cardiologist.
I am confused. When the blood tests show normal in what instances would a Doctor recommend further investigation?
Also please be blunt I hear this goes well but what is the prognosis after an aortic stent as a rule?
is it true you can reverse plaque with a very lean diet?

Aortic stenosis should be heard when listening to the heart sounds with a stethoscope but remember that if aortic stenois is not profound, it will not be audible with a stethoscope. Your mother's aortic stenosis could only now have reached a point where it is audible with a stethoscope. Yes, mistakes are made and clinical signs are missed. If you have any symptoms of concern, especially heart palpitations and chest pain, you should consult your cardiologist as soon as possible. People at risk for heart disease should be more aware of any symptoms.

A stent is very successful and it will last at least 8 to 10 years.