Question
Posted by: G | 2011-01-28

Anyone else ever experienced this?

I used to get nauseous everyday in the Winter, and I kept wondering why. Now, a few weeks ago, I was cutting an onion for the first time in a long while and the symptoms came back. Nausea and a horrible feeling in my throat that can last up to a week. I opened all the windows and I started to feel better. (I assume I never got anything in the Summer because doors and windows are always open.)

I have avoided cutting onions ever since and I don''t get nauseous now. I was trying to find out some information on this online, and I found an article that refers to the sulfur compounds that are liberated from the onions when cut, the same that cause tears. But are there any more people who get other symptoms besides crying? Nausea? Dizzy spells? Mental confusion? Mental exhaustion?

I tried eating cooked and they seem safe.

It would be nice to hear from Dr Bets or anyone else who can relate.

G

Unfortunately, I can not relate to your symptoms of sulfur exposure due to cutting onions but I am sure that there are more people experiencing the same symptoms. I do however, suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist, in order to have a gastrocopy done, as it is possible that you have an underlying gastric reflux. This is easily treatable.