Posted by: pathetic | 2008-10-31

any obligations?

Hi CS i wrote to you earlier but i just need to know something i think i need to confront my shrink i dont think they pulling their part of the string i do pay them good money after all. Is there any oaths you take? to help people or something i dont want to confront them and they tell me its not their job? please help me CS i need someone to actually step in

From what I recall of your story, it does sound as though they're not pulling their share of the weight, while taking the payments. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a shrink finds that they don;'t get on with a particular patient, or they feel, for whatever reason, that they are not going to manage to be helpful --- that's fine, but then they have the duty to refer you to another shrink you could get on with better, and who DID fel they could help.
There's two types of reply to your basic question. Basically, there's the Hippocratic Oath, which it is assumed all docs will keep to ( even if not every medical school makes people formally take the oath ) --- google it and you'll find versions of the text.
But secondly there are professional standards ( which the Medical Council / Health Professions Council administers, and deals with complaints about ). These would agree that a doctor who undertakes care of a patient must provide the care needed, to the best of their ability, until they hand the person over to the care of another doctor. This would include being accessable in the event of a crisis or emergency, and not didappearing without arranging for proper cover.