Posted by: anonymous | 2008-11-01

Any hope?

Married 12 yrs,together 17, never been on contraception,tried Clomid few yrs back unsuccessfully,2 yrs ago tried 3 IVF' s no luck,doc says hubby' s sperm clump together,my egg production good but very poor quality. Eggs &  sperm fertilized every time in lab but never survived after implants.Planning to try naturally with supplements &  good nutrition,problem is I never have appetite so diet very poor,have struggled to gain weight all my life. I' m 38,height 1.4,weight 42. Hubby is 37,height 1.8,weight 98. Any advice on all of this &  whether there' s still hope to conceive?

Dear Anonymous

There is an increasing body of evidence that suggest that the pre-genetic diagnosis or embryo testing may in this type of situation be of benefit. This should be coupled with laser assisted hatching and only genetically normal embryos should be transferred. This differs from embryo grading simply by microscopy which dose not always equate to genetically favourable embryos. There are many other factors that should be considered such as endometrial receptivity and response as well as certain immune related factors. Whist the weight is of some concern it does not always play a significant role in in-vitro fertilization treatments. The age factor makes it increasingly difficult to conceive but at this stage I would believe that there is still a fair chance of achieving a pregnancy if you pursue the ART route.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim