Question

Any good for 7kgs weight loss ?

I am 1.62m tall and weigh about 66kgs currently. I am 36 yrs old. My main problem in the last few years is from my thighs to my waist line (lots of extra tyres). I am not an over-eater and know what and how I should be eating, HOWEVER, I suffer extreme anxiety and don’ t eat very regularly. Up until a few weeks ago my first meal (a toasted tomato, lettuce and onion samie was at 13h00 !!). Then nothing until supper (eat at about 21h00 after a few glasses of wine !). No exercise to speak of but I have good muscle underneath the layers from childhood still. So, I think, and please tell me if I am correct or incorrect, I have slowed my metabolism to an all time low. I am also on anxi-anxiety meds which I don’ t think help with the extra tyre. Last few weeks, this is what I have been doing: gyming at Curves (30min circuit session) 4 x per week. If I don’ t make it there for some reason, I walk for 20min. I eat all bran flakes and a few cups of coffee by 10h00 in the morning (a step in the right direction for me), lunch is a salad (lettuce, toms, onion, feta, cucumber). Snack of maybe a fruit in the afternoon or an egg. Supper is almost what the rest of my family is eating, but I minimise the carbs –  so it’ s a protein and lots of veg. I do not naturally like rice or pasta, 2-3 glasses of wine (I know I should cut this). Weekends I partake in whatever my family is eating (roasts with all the trimmings, maybe even a meal out, but meals out and take-aways are restricted to about 2x per month ). Given all this, do you think 7kgs in 2 months is achievable ?? I DO NOT want to start a DIET, I just want to do what comes naturally for me as I’ ve done SO MANY diets before and end up having ‘ diet fatigue’  if there is such a thing (after dieting I always end up packing on the pounds and don’ t want anything to do with it again.)

Dear Any Good?
Seeing that your present BMI - 25,2 which is fractionally above the upper level of normal (25), it would indeed be a good idea to lose those 7 kg which would reduce your weight down to 59 kg and produce a BMI of 22,5, which is close to ideal for your height. The diet you describe should cause weightloss, but it is certainly not balanced and may well lead to deficiencies if used over a long period. For example, you seem to avoid all milk, yoghurt and dairy products which exposes you to the risk of a calcium deficiency which can cause osteoporosis down the line. Do try and include low-fat or fat-free milk in all those cups of coffee and with your All Bran and add a yoghurt or fat-free cottage cheese to your lunches. The wine does not help because all alcohol contains 29 kJ per gram which is second only to fat (37 kJ/g) in the energy content stakes. I would recommend that you try to reduce your wine intake by 1 glass a week until you are down to 1 glass 2x a week. Your plan to revitalise those good muscles underneath the tyres is excellent, but you can certainly increase that walking to at least 30 min a day - you will find this not only helps to tighten up your muscles and promote weightloss, but also relieves the anxiety. So with these changes to your lifestyle, it should be possible to lose 7 kg in 2 months.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-10-17

Dear Any Good?