Question
Posted by: Dr. D | 2009-01-14

Any chance at all?

My husband (46)had testicular cancer and had chemotherapy in 2003. The last sperm count was done in 2006 and then we were told he had about a 5 - 8% fertility rate. I (32)was recently diagnosed with endometriosis and would like to know what our chances are of conceiving. I was never pregnant before. We both have stressfull and demanding careers and long work hours but do have sex approximately 5 times a week for the past 8 years. We are not trying to conceive, (and do not use any contraceptives)is there any chance at all? It'  s just something I'  m wondering about. I would greatly appreciate your answer

Dear Dr. D

As testicular cancer and in addition chemotherapy will certainly affect ones chances for conception. If however a sperm count is showing that one does have a fertility potential then that is a good sign that there is still a chance of falling pregnant. Now if the sperm count and quality are very poor, then one would have a good chance of conception using assisted reproductive techniques. The best technique for very low count and motility would be a procedure called ICSI combined with IVF. This procedure should give you a 30% to 40% chance of conception. So in conclusion the fact that you do have endometriosis which can affect fertility and in addition your husband has a sperm parameter problems your best option would probably be IVF with ICSI when you are ready to fall pregnant.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo