Posted by: Jenn | 2010-04-22

Any benefits at work for breastfeeding moms?

I would just like to find out if there are any laws / rights that I have if I''m a breastfeeding mom. I know my work cannot let me work in an area where there could be risk of my health while breastfeeding. I work in an office in front of a PC all day so I don''t have a problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is the open plan office and all the boardrooms with glass panels. There is no place where I can express milk so that I can continue breastfeeding after returning from maternity leave. I''m be going on maternity leave in September returning in January 2011. Can I request a room where I can sit and express milk and should it be in my lunchtime? I had to stop breastfeeding with my first child after starting work because I wasn''t able to keep the milk supply going because I didn''t feel comfortable expressing in the bathroom where there is no space. Also expressing doesn''t take 5 minutes so I can''t occupy the toilet for that long. Do you know if I have a right to ask for a lockable room? Not that we have one but if we do can I ask?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

AS you correctly mention there is legislation protecting the breastfeeding Mom from risk. I would stretch this,reasonably, to include the provision of acceptable privacy to express your milk and some understanding of the need for this,within reason and for an acceptable time period- when will the breastfeeding stop?