Posted by: Ross | 2009-01-14

Any african grey owners?

I have an african grey that is about 14 weeks. I got him at 11 weeks. From when I got him I fed him a parrot hand rearing formula with a syringe and spoon. I have also given him a parrot mix of sunflower seeds, etc in his cage. And for the last few days have been giving him cooked vegatables at night.

The problem is he doesnt want to eat the formula anymore at all (is this ok?) - he only wants to eat the seeds, which I have heard is not really good for a parrot. He does sort of eat the vegatables but I think more just plays with it.

Is there anyone who owns an afican grey who can help? Is it right for him to stop the formula? And is there a better alternative to the seeds? I have heard of pellets for parrots but havent been able to find them - I am in Bloemfontein.

Dear Ross

Sorry cant help. Phone Onderstepoort and ask for the number of a bird specialist.

Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-15

Ooops. Thanks Chill.

Most people food , rather do a google search to be on the safe side.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-14

.... they eat all people food except avocado and chocolate (is what Carol meant to say)  -)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-14

If your parrot has stopped the formula by himself thats fine.

But the sunflower seed diet isnt.

Okay so now you need to find the aviplus maintenance pellets. You should get it at your vet shop or a decent pet shop.

Alternatively you can get tropimix .. which is hellishily expensive..but a good food.

What I do with my gang ..I have two greys, two conures and a monster oops I mean a balck winged jardine.

I make a mix of pellets , a small amount of sunfloer seeds ,and a mix that I get at everfresh of mixed fruit and nuts .. also not too many of those.

If you get the pellets he isnt going to be thrilled with you at all , so I suggest you give him a mixture of pellets and seeds at first so that he gets a " taste"  of the pellets.

Veggies are fine , keep on giving them to him , perhaps first thing in the morning when he is hungry will work , but then remove all seeds until he is eating his veg.

My crew also like to have oats for brekkies no milk , and they eat all people food.

Just be careful of to much salt and sugar.

Reply to Carol