Posted by: HouseMom | 2009-06-15

Anxious by rich friend visit

I' m feeling very anxious about seeing a friend I' ve seen more than ten years ago. Now she' s married to a very rich man and she' s been travelling the world and when I talk to her on the phone she always has to bring up something about her life eg...expensive golf clubs, her house that has a gym in the basement, her interior designer. She' s coming to my town, I hope she won' t look down on me . I' m not ashamed of who I am or what I have, just I don' t want to sit with someone whose gonna go on and on about what she has, where in the world she' s been, how her life this and that. I' m worried about my hair...I didn' t get it done, my house is not as clean as I would like and I don' t have time to clean...oh bother...why anxious.
maybe now I' ll feel better since I wrote about it...

Shame, she must actually have a very low self-esteem that she feels so desperate to brag about the THINGS she has. As though she may be an awful person, but at least she has expensive gold clubs. Don't worry about her looking down on you --- secretly, she most probably looks down on herself. One might gently say to her that "You know, I'm happy for you if all these posessions being you happiness --- but it's YOU I like, not the things. "
You can be comfortable enough with yourself not to HAVE to have the house made spotless ( by someone else, of course ) ; and you don't have to have your hair titivated to please someone else. YOU have earned and deserved everything you have --- she hasn't. Enjoy your splendid self.
And if she keeps talking about the THINGS she have, switch the conversation to her, herself --- "Mmm, so you've been to many places --- which one did you feel happiest in ? Which of the great places did you find the most disappointing ? Which felt better than you expected ? "

Posted by: Liza | 2009-06-15

What has she done, besides marrying rich, that makes you feel inferior? It doesn' t sound like she' s has had to work hard for what she has. You however have what you' ve worked for. So be proud of it! We shouldn' t be judged on what we have. We should be judged on the obstacles in our path that we have overcome!

Good luck with the visit. Try not to feel intimidated by her stories. Who knows, they might even be interesting!

Reply to Liza