Question
Posted by: Edge | 2012-09-12

Anxious and depressed

I have been depressed for quite a long time now, and its really getting worse, also not helping is the anxiety that i experience. I was diagnosed with bipolar a few years ago by a psychiatrist. been struggling with medication since then. Stopped a few months ago due to a change in medication that made me very ill and left me feeling extremely vulnerable. My doctor was not available at that time, so i stopped. My anxiety is now at an extreme. I have decided to see my doctor again but the only app i could get is at the end of october. In the meantime, I am not sleeping, I am depressed, I am anxious. I cannot focus and I think about killing myself a lot. Is there anything in the meantime that I can do.

Sorry to hear of this. With many meds its not adviseable to stop suddenly, so its best to discuss this with the prescribing doc, for advice on HOW to stop, by gradually decreasing the dose. Wuth a suddent stop, there can be some unpleasant side-effects for a time.
I'm more worried by your doctor's unavailability, both when you had distressing symptoms leading you to stop the meds, and now a major delay before you can see him again. I don't believe an active doc should go away ( on holiday, conference, whatever ) without nominating a specific locum or alternative to call in emergencies. Maybe you should consider a fresh start with a different doc who is more available ?
And if your doc was a GP, well, I believe that Bipolar Disorder should not be handled by GPs and only by specialist psychiatrists.
The anxiety symptoms you describe seem dominant, which needs to be taken into account by whoever treats you. Does your present doc really make no provision whatever for urgent appointments for patients in distress ? I'd find that deeply disappointing if so

1