Posted by: sideways | 2009-09-22

Anxious and confused about career

Hi Cs

Ok, so my stroy is as follows: I have been within the same comopany for the last 9 years. It' s a very secure job and it pays well and all is fine. Except one big problem, I am bored to death. I have zero room for growth and I am not in any way shape or form challenged. I have picked up invaluable experience and learnt many things that were not related to my degree and I am grateful for this. I am however, only 31, everyone else is oldr and set in their ways. No one listens to my innovative ideas to improve business and I feel like I am getting dumber here every day.

I am currently furthering my studies with an honours course that is well suited to my experience etc. This has kept me sane. I had a nightmare the other night where I dreamt that i had decided to stay with this company and therefore essentially decided to give up on life. Horrible.

Anyway, at this point it gets interesing. I may have an offer from a nother company now. Totally different industry, different environment and different career path. Young company with young people. All very intelligent, creative, open to possibilities and ideas. Very much forward thinkers with plenty of energy. The moment I walked into the place i loved the vibe and felt alive and excited. They offer a more competitive salary too. The responsibilty would be far greater though and it' s a filed I have little experience in. Theya sked me to do a proposal for them based on what they were lookign for and they loved what I did. So clearly I have something of what it takes. I am awaiting their final offer but there is a part of me that is so super ecited and can' t wait to get out fo here and help this new company grow and grow with them, yet there is a part of me that is suddenly so scared of failure, that is so anxious, that is worried about leaving my security and is wondering if I really am up to the challenge. I haven' t felt this way before and am so confused as to whay I would be feeling this way. I have been broken in my job for years, desperate to get out and now a great opportunity within a great young company whose ideals and general energy I love presents itself and I am suddenly so scared that they might actually offer me the position.

What do you think? What can i do?

The new opportunity sounds brilliant and very much what you were presumably looking for ? From the sound of it, you have been feeling comfortable and safe, as well as bored. You have grown un-used to challenge and opportunity, so it feels a bit strange and insecure. If you turned down this opportunity, wouldn't you forever feel you'd lost a golden cnace to shine ? Could you accept the current boredome plus that degree of regret ?

Posted by: Adam | 2009-11-21

Did you get the job?

Reply to Adam
Posted by: sideways | 2009-09-22

Thank you so much

Reply to sideways
Posted by: me | 2009-09-22

Go for it!
The anxiety you' re feeling is most likely the feeling of " leaving the womb"  / leaving the " comfort zone" .
And it may make you feel strange and insecure however it is the right move.
If it was so easy you wouldn' t find it challenging - you need change, you need challenge and it' s time to grow yourself as well, by reaching out and dominating your fears!
You may need to adjust to the new industry but hey, it' s so much better than being bored.
Allow yourself to get chucked from this comfort zone, jump out the plan and SOAR to new heights.
I am so excited for you! Enough worrying, go for it!
Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!

Reply to me