Question
Posted by: Carina | 2011-01-27

Anxious about sedation

Going to swallow camera, fear for losing is while sedated

Remarkably rare for anyone to "lose it" when sedated using modern sedation. This is a story from the old days, when anaesthetics were used which were very slow in getting you to sleep, and caused confusion in the meantime. So the good news is this really should not happen at all - and do mention tjhis concern to the anaesthetist so he can set your mind at rest before the procedure.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2011-01-28

I''ve been through this and although it is really scary before hand, its actually not nearly as bad as you think it will be.

I''m a pretty anxious person normally so I ask for a pre-med so I was woozy anyway when they gave me the sedation. I remember the aneasthetist telling me that 90% of people don''t remember anything afterwards (you do for a while but hte memory fades the next day).

You don''t lose it with the sedation, it just makes you really calm. I fell asleep during the procedure (or I must have as I can remember waking up afterwards).

You don''t feel sick and grotty like you do after a full general aneasthetic, you feel quite relaxed and carefree the rest of the day. Someone else in the ward said to me it must feel what drugs feel like and must be why people become addicted. I think she was right.

Reply to Purple