Question
Posted by: bb | 2008/08/11

anxious

Ever since me and my son have been living in our own house, for a couple months now, after seperating from his father, I have found myself having these thoughts which I dont know is normal or not.
I seem to have developed a knd of obsessiveness about ' did i leave the oven on? or the tap running, or the lights on, or the windows open etc. Even though i havent even used the oven or run the water etc. I check everything over and over before we leave the house and then once ive left, I still find myself thinking it over a few times in my head.
I also have this sense of something bad is going to happen. Either to me or to me &  my son. I worry about what happens if I have an accident or something while we are at home, what will happen to him. I think while Im driving that I could be ' snuffed out'  in an instant, someone could crash into me for instance. And then worry about what would happen to my son.
i have all these terrible thoughts of what could happen. That your life could be taken away in an instant.
Why do you think this is? I have always been a bit of a worryer but this is different.

Sounds like either a basially rather obsessive personality revealing your obsessiveness while under the strain of these new circumstances, or possibly the intrusion of an OCD, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Either way, it would be sensible to seek an assessment by a good local shrink and discussion of treatment options. Medications otherwise also used to treat depression, and CBT counselling, can eb very effective. The proble with this excessive checking is hat it makes you more oncomfortable, and not more safe.