Posted by: Misdiagnosed | 2009-07-30

I visited my GP with chest pains and feelings of breathlessness. The pains go from my chest up my neck and sometimes I feel like the muscles of my arms are tightening and I have a weird sensation on my cheeks. I have been stressed lately and thought these might be anxiety attacks or something like that. My GP said I have bronchitis and gave meds for this. I need to see someone who specialises in Depression. Would you please recommend someone? Thanks

I / we annot recommend specific shrinks on this site --- and of course, not knowing where you live and work, we couldn't do so, anyway ! The symptoms you describe could be caused by an Anxiety Disorder, as well as by heart disease, which presumably your GP has ruled out. See if the relief of the bronchitis helps ( bronchitis, of course, is a most effective cause of breathlessness. Your GP should know several good local psychiatrists and can refer you to one, but may well want to wait until the bronchitis has cleared up, so the psych assesment could be more accurate

Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-30

Your best bet would be to call the Depression and Anxiety Support group number at the top of the webpage and get numbers of psychiatrists in your area.

Reply to Liza