Posted by: FJP | 2009-03-04

Anxiety + Zanor SR and paroxetine

I was diagnosed with GAD ( general anxiety ) and depression. and Dr placed me on paroxetine 20 mg a day and also got 1 mg of Xanor SR 2 times a day for 3 weeks after three weeks I was to stop the Xanor SR .
I stopped the Xanor on Monday ( after 3 weeks ) and my anxiety came back last night / early this morning. I still have to take the Paroxetine for 6 months .
Is it the Xanor withdrawal or the Paroxetine that is not yet working and if so how long before it starts working? Cant stand this anxiety. was fine the 3 weeks I was on XAnor SR

Staying on the Paroxetine is a good idea, unles your doc advises otherwise. By around 3 weeks now, the Paroxetine should be working if it is best suited to your particular GAD / Depression. Paroxetine i a useful drug for Depression, and usually also helps to relieve anxiety. But maybe you should contact your doctor to check whether he might want to re-assess you and consider an alternative antidepressant. It is adviseable when you have found an AD that suits you, to remain on it for at least 6 to 9 months, before then coming off it gently and gradually, to reduce the risk of a return of the Depression.
Xanor is one of the benzodiazepines, which are sedative tranquillizers. They can cause problems of dependency, which is why your doc was wise enough to be cautious about limiting the duration of your time on this drug. The aim of a special preparation like Xanor SR ( Sustained Release ) is to prepare it so that the drug is released gradually through the day, giving smoother blood levels. It is supposed to cause less troubles when withdrawing / stopping the drug, though as I chose some time back not to prescribe Xanor, let alone Xanor SR, I haven't confirmed this in my own experience. It is a potential problem with the whole benzo family, that one may experience some rebound symptoms of anxiety on rapid withdrawal of the drug, which feels very like the original anxiety, making it easy to remain on the drug and get hooked on it, rather than coming off it even more gradually, and aoiding or ending those symptoms.
I hope these explanations help you to understand what may be going on --- best consult your prescribing doc for a re-assessment of your condition ; maybe a revision of your meds would work out better

When is the right time to take Zanor SR at night or during the day? it is making me sleepy at work

Posted by: FJP | 2009-03-04

Waiting for my doc to phn me back.. but just to be clear in a nutshell it could be the stopping of XANOR SR that brought back the anxiety and it should go away again..
If the Dr does put me on another SSRI like prozac etc... how do I move over from my current SSRI to teh new one?

Reply to FJP