Question
Posted by: Kari | 2008/09/19

Anxiety, panic or Phobia

About a month ago i started having attacks in the taxi. My heart races fast, i have difficulty breathing and i get hot flashes. This happens almost everyday now. A pharmacist gave me a herbal calmative and told me its anxiety. The pills she gave does not help at all. I' ve been using public transport all my life and i was fine, but now all of a sudden this happens. It' s really embarrassing having to stop the taxi to get out. I am concerned about one thing though i constantly think about dying and especially of how i' m gonna die. My biggest fear is dying in a car accident. A few years ago a terrible accident happend where a bunch of school kids were in a car and the brigde gave away under them and all of them drowned being stuck in the car. i hate small spaces and always think about the worst thing that can happen to me or someone i love. Why? I' m so paranoid in everything i do. Please Help.

Sounds like this could be Panic Attacks, likely to respond to treatment with some more specific meds and CBT style counselling / therapy. And during such attacks, people often fear they'll die, or go mad, or both. They don't, but it really feels like it. But there are features of other, related disorders, in what you describe --- arrange to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options