Posted by: Liz | 2012-11-07

Anxiety! On top of depression - HELP

Hi doc,
I was recently diagnosed with BMD, and I am on various meds for that. (Lithium, Epitek and Wellbutrin). I am often so depressed I find it hard to cope. I have however started to get a few coping mechanisms for the depression. I take a walk or keep busy with something. I am however finding that I experience extreme anxiety at times, and constantly have a stomach-churn - you know like when you get a fright of something. It happens a lot during the day, and it freaks me out, cause i realise it is a fresh burst of adrenalin all the time. As a result of this, i get very anxious at times, and other times very short-tempered. I dont want to be this person! I constantly have a feeling of pending dread. And when i dont have that, I am depressed.... Will life ever be normal again? I have been on the mentioned meds for about 3,5 months now. I appreciate your input.

Hadnt come across BMD before, but wherever there's a long-winded term, there'll be an abbreviation. Anxiety and depression are twins, often occurring together, and some drugs which can be used to treat depression can cause a degree of anxiety, especially in the early weeks when one's system is getting used to them.
Good for you for working on exploring alternative ways of intervening to reduce depression ( and indeed anxiety )
Have you discussed these anxiety episodes with your prescribing shrink ? Such symptoms CAn be related to the meds, alone or in combiantion, and a variation may remove them. Sometimes there needs to be a period, often longer than one would wish, of trial and error, to find the best combination of meds, but it is indeed possible for most people with such a disorder to achieve a more or less stable and acceptable life.