Question
Posted by: Christine | 2011/06/15

anxiety in children

My son is 6 years old and has been diagnosed with over anxious disorder/ childhood anxiety. The paed prescribed Lorien to help him get it under controll. First day I was somewhat of a wreck- horrified at the idea of my six-year old having to take anti-depressants. I would like to hear from other parents who have young children on SSRI"  s

Such drugs should NEVER be prescribed for a child except by a qualified child psychiatrist ( never a GP ), and if this is done, that shrink's job was to fully explain the diagnosis and the treatments and drugs used. Its good for a paediatrician to identify psychiatric problems, but better for a child psychiatrist to confirm diagnosis and treatment, as detailed training in such diagnosis and treatment is not usually a part of the training of a paediatrician.

2
Posted by: Caro | 2011/06/15

Dear Christine
My daughter has OCB and has pulled out almost all her hair and the doctor immediately wanted to prescribe anti-depressants. My husband and I opted for therapy wiht a psychologist and a psychiatrist as we wanted her to rather learn to control her urges than depend on drugs as this is something she will always have to live with. It was a slower process but the counselling helped. We would rather put SSRI on the backburner for as long as possible. This is not a doctor''s area of expertise.

Reply to Caro