Question
Posted by: anxiousandy | 2009/11/04

Anxiety etc...

Hi. Im 27 year old gay guy. My problem is that I get really anxious and fearful. Especially when meeting new people in unfamiliar situations. I have a boyfriend who is very social and likes to meet up with his friends, but they arent my friends, and I really do get so anxious and freaked out by these situations. I cant walk into bars or clubs without having a little panic attack in my head. In my job however, I deal with new people on a daily basis, and am not nearly as anxious about it. I was treated for Bipolar about two years ago, but went off the medication, and havent really felt depressed or gotten any manic episodes. This problem is affecting my relationship and my entire life. I get so shy and anxious that I will break out in sweats and blush even just having a normal conversation. I am not a fan of medication as I had bad experiences with the bi-polar meds. Is there any suggestions that you can give me, or help me out. I use to be a sociable person, but it feels like im moving more and more into seclusion.

Sounds like this could be a variety of Social Anxiety Disorder, which fortunately responds very well indeed to CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a well-researched and effective form of counselling, and to some medications, too. As you are not a fan of medications, check with SADAG ( number on this page ) for helpm in finding a shrink who can provide an assessment and disgnosis and CBT. Being gay is probably not relevant here, at most affecting where you might be when you find social situations a bit overwhelming, rather than the fact that the overwhelm you at all

1