Question
Posted by: Me | 2012-10-08

Anxiety Eating

I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks... often I feel like I''''m really hungry and if I don''''t eat right then, I feel even more shaky, nauseous etc... most of the time I will have eaten something an hour or two beforehand. I have already put on more weight than I want to and I am scared of getting too fat. I try snack on things like provita and marmite, yoghurt and muesli but sometimes they dont satisfy my hunger.
How can I get past this cos I am sure its just my anxiety that is causing this chemical reaction that makes me feel so hungry.
Is there something natural I can take for this that wont cause harm to my body? or react with my medication... (evenings I take 15-30mg Mirteron and if I feel anxious I take between 0.25mg-0.50mg Alzam) I have also been taking Kali Phos tissue salts to try relieve the symptoms of anxiety - sometimes they work but when the symptoms are very strong, only the alzam helps

Dear Me
I am sorry to hear that you suffer so severely from anxiety and panic attacks. The anxiety and the panic attacks may be causing your shaky feelings, but I would recommend that you also have your insulin and glucose levels tested. If you suffer from insulin resistance, hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) or even diabetes, then your blood sugar and insulin levels will shoot up and down all day. The symptoms of hypoglycaemia include: feeling tired, depressed, moody, anxious, out of control, irritable, shaky, very hungry, sweaty or very cold. Patients may also look very pale and faint easily. It is, therefore, perfectly possible that some of the symptoms you describe are due to problems with your blood sugar and insulin. So please ask your doctor to test if you have an insulin problem such as insulin resistance (IR). If you do, then it is important to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Exercise is also beneficial when it comes to reducing anxiety and getting better control of your life.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-10-08

Dear Me