Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2008/09/26

Anxiety due to job

I have Bipolar disorder and ADHD. I started a new job in Jan this year. The ideal person for the job would be able to pay attention to detail and be very meticulous. Unfortunately, I was not aware that I had ADHD and I was in a manic phase when I got the job. I am on Concerta now, and it has made a big difference. But, I am still worried about the mistakes I made before I started the Concerta. I am anxious 24/7 about work. The problem is that I did not get proper training and the on the job training is non-existent. I have taken it up with my manager, but it seems that this is not an issue for him. I am planning to pay for my own training course, to try and relieve the stress.
I go to bed at 19:30 beacuse I can' t stand the anxiety, and it' s better to be asleep than awake. I am going for CBT, but it does not seem to work. Nothing works. I am on Geodon, Topamax, Epitec and Serlife (100mg). The pshyciatrist prescirbed Xanor which did not work and now Aterax, but it also does not work? What else can I do. The anxiety is taking over my life! I feel that I can' t go on like this. I can' t find another job, because for the first time in 10 years I am actually eraning a decent salary and I am not in financial trouble. And I actually like what I do.

Whatever mistakes you may have made before starting Concerta, can't be changed --- mistakes from her on, can be avoided --- concentrate on that practical and doable task, instead of fruitless regrets. Now, talk with the HR folks at your company about trainiong, which I believe the company is obliged to provide, but I'm sure other readers can advise on such matters. SOunds like you deserve more treatment concentration on the anxiety, where CBT ought to work, but maybe some more anxiety-specific meds, too. Do discuss this seriously with yoru shrink / doc. You're on a complex mix of meds, and any changes would need to be considered and planned carefully. I don't like Aterax, which is extremely sedative. Its odd if Xanor, or others of the Benzo family didn't at least reduce your anxiety.
Relax a bit, you like your job, and they seem satisfied with you. Ask your shrink whether any of the meds you are on could be fuelling this high level of anxiety

4
Posted by: Suzanne | 2008/09/29

Thanks for the advice. Regarding the lower doses - it is not possible. My dr has reduced my medication to the minimum. He is also actually the second opinion! He was not happy with all the meds I was on and gradually reduced the doses in the last 9 months. But, unfortunately I am not stable enough at the moment to reduce it any further. True, I really had trouble focusing while I was on the high doses, but now that I am on the lower doses, plus Concerta for ADHD I look like a totally different person. Concerta has changed my life and I can not believe the difference it has made. Thank you all for your advice.

Reply to Suzanne
Posted by: Maria | 2008/09/26

J, I' m not a doctor so I can' t comment on people' s meds. Bipolar is a complex condition. She could perhaps get a second opinion from a different psychiatrist.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: J | 2008/09/26

Ii agree with maria ecsept i truelly believe you are taking to much chemicals {pills} suzanne iam certainly no expert but just bye looking at all that precribed drugs you must battle to even focus let alone sleep which bye the way you are very lucky to achieve on all that stuff...suzanne iam not pionting fingers at you but what would happen if you cut down a little on the amount taken...i wonder if your anxiety would increase or decrease? what do u think maria????

Reply to J
Posted by: Maria | 2008/09/26

Suzanne, to reduce anxiety about work, maybe concentrate more on life outside of work? Go to the gym, or find some other kind of exercise to do that will allow you to physically release the tension in your body. This will work better than sleeping too much. Take up a hobby like pottery, horseriding, volunteering, anything to take your mind off work and give you something else to think about and stay busy with. This will also improve your general self esteem and confidence levels, which will spill over into the work situation.
Good luck, and I envy you for having a job you enjoy.

Reply to Maria