Question
Posted by: Worry | 2009/11/19

Anxiety disorder is ruining my life

Since I was 16 I have been a worrier. And as a result , I am a insomniac. I am 26 years old. My insomnia leads to anxiety which leads to insomnia. An ongoing circle esp in stressful times . I am highly competitive and love to succeed and have a tremendous fear of failure thus exams etc [ stressful situtations ] cause me to have EXTREME anxiety to the point that I lose weight –  smoke and can’ t sleep . All I can think of is the exam etc –  the world could fall down and I wouldn’ t care I am so focused on my worry. I know this is not normal. At my recent employment [ I am finished my studying ] by boss criticised me on a daily basis –  Unfounded in my view .nevertheless , I have a low esteem when it comes to my abilities now and the thought of perusing my career is daunting [ stressful career in finance ] –  I self doubt myself and am filled with anxiety –  so much so I can’ t seem to operate to my best ability and am currently not working in my studied field . I have gone to the doctor and psychiatrist over this matter and to no avail . They say sleeping tablets and I have anxiety. But I read a post on site that a women went on cipralex and she said it is working for her .... What do you think??? I need to overcome this. Please Doc , I need help , I need to cope with stress like other people ........

Cipralex is an over-used antidepressant, one of many alternative effective antidepressants. It's a treatment for Depression as such ; some of the alternatives may be better for helping an Anxiety Disorder, which is what you seem to be describing, as is CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which good research has shown to be highly effective both for treating anxiety disorder and its related symptoms, including insomnia and undue anxiety in particular situations, but also to deal with your habits of negative thinking about yourself and your abilities, as well as learning to cope well with distress. SADAG ( number on this page ) has listed some of the shrinks around the country offering this variety of treatment.
I don;t know where you are studying, but they should have a student health and counselling service who may also be able to recommend and refer you to someone who can provide this

2
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009/11/20

Rather try going without sleeping pills if you can as they could be addictive. All people must have some stresses or els they' ll die out of boredom or something. Anyway my phyciatrist said an oxypam might be better than a sleeping pill and I seem to agree (not that I agree that often)... It might be helpful to change the things you could and accept those you can' t and ask for God the wisdom to know the diffrence ... I' m going to make myself some tea and go to bed when I' m finished.

Reply to Zexeon