Posted by: fiance | 2009-07-21

Anxiety disorder curable?

is GAD curable or is it a chronic lifetime illness? My fiance has recently been diagnosed with GAD and is using a lot of medication. i really want to support him, but i am not quite sure how and what to expect. trying to get as much info as possible to equip me for the road ahead, as his doc said it might be a bumpy one :)

Both. Some forms o GAD seem to be lifelong, but especially if treatment includes CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) as well as medication of the sort also used to treat depression, rather than merel sedatives of the valium family, many people can lear5n to control the symptoms and the situations in which they arise, and have no further significant problems from it. You'd need to ask his doc why he thought the path ahead might be bumpy, and what sort of bumps he anticipates !

Posted by: Susie | 2009-07-22

I have GAD too. It took me many years to realize this. However in the last 5 years I have had some counselling, which made me understand why I feel the way I do. I am also on medication, this has helped a lot. I am not sure if my meds will be long term or not. My shrink says between 2 to 5 years.....

I am not sure if GAD is cureable, but I do know that it is possible to make life better with counselling and the correct medication.

Reply to Susie