Question
Posted by: c-anne | 2009-10-17

anxiety depression - suicidal

i am on 60mg of Nuzak i take Alzam. have been diagnosed with overactive thyrioiditis and anxiety depression and CFS. i am beyond exhaustion. i cant think, i don' t register anything and take sleeping tabs to sleep. i am now suicidical and scared. this is new. i want to die, serious. i see absolutely no point in living. i don' t want to kill myslf just wish it would happen naturally. i lead a good life. gave up my job to sort myslf out just been to thailand for 2 weeks in the past 2 months. help me, pls

I hope you are being treated by a specialist psychiatrist and a specialist physician, as these situations where there is an overlap between physical and psych conditions need expert planning for good management. An over-active thyroid can cause symptoms very like Anxiety Disorder, and can ONLY be properly treated after full asessment by a general medicine specialist, by specific thyroid medication or even surgery to the thyroid. Depresion needs its own treatment, by CBT or antidepressants or both. I would not be anxious to start someone on Alzam until the over-active thyroid had ben returned to normal levels of functioning, as this in itself might end the symptoms and leave no further need for treatment of them.
Things get complex with a visit to Thailand as other tropical illnesses could have been added to the mix. The whole combination is too complex to leave to even a good GP. So start with a specialist psychiatrist, privately or through the nearest major government hospita

1