Question
Posted by: Lynette Williams | 2009/10/07

ANXIETY ATTACKS AND DEPRESSION

I HAVE BEEN ON ANTI-DEPRESSANTS FOR 10 YEARS NOW. I WAS ON SLEEPING TABLETS AS WELL, BUT HAVE MANAGED TO TOP TAKING THEM. IF I MISS ONE ANTI-DEPRESSANT, I HAVE THESE WIERD " SHOCKS"  IN MY HEAD AND FEEL VERY CONFUSED AND BECOME EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL. SINCE TAKING THEM, MY ANXIETY ATTACKS HAVE LESSENED, AS WELL AS THE INTENSITY OF THE ATTACKS. WOULD I EVER BE ABLE TO STOP TAKING ANTI-DEPRESSANTS?

Expert ImageAnxiety disorders guest experts

Dear Lynette

While medication is not within my scope of practice as a clinical psychologist, I can advise that you consult with your medical practitioner regarding your concerns and questions.

David Blackbeard
Clinical Psychologist
Riverview Manor Specialist Clinic, Underberg

1
Posted by: Lisa | 2009/10/07

OF COURSE you' ll be able to stop taking anti-depressents, but you have to wean yourself off them slowly, slowly. You should ask your doctor for help in coming off them, you cannot just go cold turkey, and, trust me, you will feel extremely emotional and very confused whilst coming off them and for a short while thereafter! But it' s all worth it! :-) PS - have you ever checked your thyroid?

Reply to Lisa