Question
Posted by: Mel | 2011/06/21

Anxiety attacks

Hi cybershrink.

I am currently living with someone who often gets anxiety attacks. However I am not sure as what I should do when the person gets an anxiety attack. I have done basic first aid, and am considering doing more first aid courses, I have also googled anxiety attacks and what should be done. But different sites gave different advice and information on how to go about handling the situation. My question is what do I do when the person gets an anxiety attack that''s normal? And when the person gets an anxiety attack that is severe?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards:

Firstly, maybe most important of all - don't panic, yourself ! Don't get alarmed and too anxious personally, as this only inflates his/her anxiety. A panic attack is unpleasant to experience, but fortunately, is not usually harmful. Just as your own anxiety can inflate his, so your own calmness and confidence can help to relieve his anxiety.
ANd the other important thing to do is to ensure that he gets proper treatment for his anxiety. Whether privately or from a provincial clinic, effecive treatment is available, both in terms of medication ( some for long-term benefits, some for more immediate relief ) and CBT style counselling, can help greatly.

3
Posted by: Mel | 2011/06/22

Thanks a lot Jacqui and Cybershrink. I will definitely keep your advice in mind. So far this person has not had any panic attacks. But just felt it was necessary. For future references.

Thanks.

Reply to Mel

Posted by: Jacqui | 2011/06/21

I used to get anxiety / panic attacks. I can only therefore say what eased the moment for me. You need to calm him down in a very soothing manner if you are with him when this happens. Dont sound panicky in your response. Just let him know that you are there and in no rush to go anywhere.
When I was on my own and I got an anxiety attack, I trained myself to breathe in deeply and hold my breath in for two seconds before exhaling (I needed to get my heart rate down) when these moments occured. When I got a panic attack I usually needed to get out of the crowd or situation into a place of safety and sit still. Hope it helps in some way but I am sure the CyberShrink will come up with more assistance. Hang in there.

Reply to Jacqui