Posted by: Adele | 2009-07-20

Anxiety Attaches

I am pregnant and it is almost by due date. I am getting this servere anxiety attaches regarding the baby everything you can think off regarding the baby. It is driving me up the wall and I need help as to how to deal with it.

Please Help.

You don't mention whether this is your first baby, though it sounds as though this might be so ; nor do you mention whether you have support available, in terms of husband, mother and family --- I hope this is so.
Some anxiety is normal in every birth --- we want everything to go well, with the birth and the parenting. But only mild anxiety can be useful --- beyond that, it actually interferes with the whole process most unhelpfully. But you can regain control of the situation and can cope well. Discuss this with your gynae, especially any aspects of the birth itself that worry you , and make sure you understand your options and do things in the way that suits you best ; and maybe he knows of a good local counsellor who can help you with both general; aspects of learning to reduce and handle anxiety and practically help you to feel more confident about dealing with and raising the chil. Call on support, advice and encouragement, from the child's father, and from your own family --- maybe also from his.

Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-20

Is there anything specific that causes the anxiety? e.g. worried about birth defects, something wrong with your baby. In this case your gynae will usually be able to reassure you by doing an ultrasound and seeing whether anything is wrong.

If you' re worried about giving birth - well, I gave natural birth to two BIG babies. With the oldest I only got pethidine for pain. With the youngest I had an epidural. What a pleasure! If I ever have to give birth again, I' ll go with an epidural again.

Due to my high anxiety levels, I used rescue tablets when pregnant with my youngest. With the oldest I had to go casualty for oxygen 3 times due to anxiety. The rescue tablets helped a lot. The nursing sister who presented our prenatal classes recommended the rescue tablets. Since you' re in your final trimester already, it also shouldn' t affect the baby where other tranquillizers might cause problems.

Good Luck with your little one.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liesel | 2009-07-20

Hi Liesel

My mom had the same thing (badly) and she says you actually forget, she went on to have 2 more all by natural birth.

But it is a good idea to speak to your gynae and I think a counsellor.

It helped to talk to her of course so I had mine without a problem.

ps. There is nothing wrong with you, its normal, I mean do any of us walk up the aisle without any reservation at all? I doubt it. Same for babies.

Reply to Liesel
Posted by: Blue Eyes | 2009-07-20

Hi Adele,

I' m preggies with my second child. Not sure if this is your first but i' m guessing it is.

Its normal to be anxious about your first child or a baby for that matter. We are exposed to all these horror stories about birth and being a new mother.

I' m looking forward to my little joy. Its a part of you and a very special gift.

You need to establish what it is you are so afraid of, and PLEASE speak to your gynae and tell him or her about your anxiety.

Remember, God will never give you anything you are not able to handle. So relax and enjoy what is left of your pregnancy. I promise you will miss that big tummy and that little life moving inside of you when it is over.

Reply to Blue Eyes