Question
Posted by: Lua | 2011/05/26

Anxiety and weight loss

Hi there,

I have been anxious and stressed for the last couple of weeks. I have had indigestion, nausea, a sour/bad taste in my mouth and I have lost a few kilo''s. Can this be due to anxiety and stress. I have been eating though.

I had a full blood count, stool samples and a gastroscopy and all is fine.

Can you help me?

Dear Lua
Extreme stress over long periods can suppress the appetite and cause the symptoms you describe. If your gastroscopy result was normal then you thankfully don't seem to have ulcers or gastritis (which can also produce the indigestion, nausea and acid taste in the mouth). Did the doctor prescribe a mild antacid for you? if not, then please describe your symptoms to your chemist and ask him/her to give you an antacid, which you can use for a week or so. If the symptoms persist, then you may need other treatment such as an anxiolytic or some psychotherapy with a clinical psychologist to help you learn how to cope with stress and apply relaxing techniques (deep breathig, etc). Eating 6 smaller meals a day, may also help. Split up your usual main meals into 2 and eat at regular intervals: for example if you usually have oats or porridge with milk, toast and an egg for breakfast, then have the oats and milk at say 7 am, and eat the toast and a boiled egg at 10 am. Do the same with your other meals, so that there is always some food in your stomach for the acid to work on instead of causing heartburn and nausea. Certain types of exercise such as yoga can also help one to relax and get back control of one's life.
I hope you will soon feel much better

1

Dear Lua
I hope you will soon feel much better