Question
Posted by: Annie | 2009/11/17

Anxiety and Sleep

Most of this year I have really been struggling to sleep as my mind has just not been able to switch off and my doctor prescribed various sleeping pills which worked with some effect. I was then referred to a physchiatrist who diagnosed me with generalised anxiety disorder and I have been on 10mg of Cipralex for a month which I must say has worked wonders in terms of decreasing my anxiety. At the same time the physchiatrist put me on brazapam to help me sleep while my body adjusted to the Cipralex, I am due to end the brazapam in the next week and am feeling anxious that my insomnia will come back. I suppose my long winded question to you is do you think that now that my anxiety is under control with the Cipralex I will be able to sleep without the brazapam?

Sleep problems, especially difficulty getting off to sleep, are typical of Anxiety disorders. Drugs like Cipralex are often really helpful in getting rid of the anxiety. As the anxiety was the cause of your sleeping badly, and the anxiety is now reduced or gone, you should now be able to sleep better, Unless you allow your anxious expectations of not sleping well to keep you awake ! Be confident. YOu are a good sleeper, you've been doing it pretty well since birth, and you xcan do it again. Temporarily a disturbance including anxiety interfered with your ability to sleep well, and that disturbance has now passed. Expect to sleep, and you probably will. Expect to be restless, and that expectation will make you restless

1