Question
Posted by: miekie | 2012/01/13

anxiety and menopause

Hi doc,
My anxiety levels skyrocket every time I''m having a hot flash. Heart patient, so no hormone treatment. Age 47. Its midday now and I had 4 hot flashes sinces 2 this morning. Depression treatment currently Lexamil 20 mg and Urbanol 10 mg x2. I''m miserable and cranky from lack of good sleep. What should I do to relax when having this?
(Scratching kitty softly)

I'm not familiar with alternative treatments for hot flashes, but I suspect there may be some. CBT style counselling could help you to fairly easily learn to control the element of anxiety and panic about i. Hot flashes feel awful, but I haven't heard of anyone dying from them - I don't mean that as an uncaring or dismissive comment, but to help put the ugly experience in perspective.
It sounds as though you may be being treated by a GP, as Lexamil and Urbanol isn't a common selection for a specialist psychiatrist in treating depression. There are alternatives which may help your sleep more and sooner. So onsider seeking a second opinion and fresh assessment.
Kitty scratching has actually been shown to be very healthy ( for you AND the cat ) and to help keeping blood pressure done.

1