Question
Posted by: Yvonne | 2009-09-28

ANXIETY AND IBS

I suffer from IBS which causes anxiety and the anxiety causes IBS. I has come to a point that I am scared of leaving the house as my IBS (diaree) starts acting up the minute I need to go somewhere. Travel is a nightmare for me and I dont do anything new. I used fluanxol for a while but side effects, e.g weight gain and insominia makes is difficult to stay on it. I have also tried Aterax but feel terrible when I take it. I have been seeing a dietician and try to stick to the right foods etc I take probiotics and I do mild exercise. Any suggestions.

COnsider seeing a psychologist who does CBT ( Cognitive-Behavour Therapy ) to identify the triggers for your stress, and how to modify those, as well as finding better ways for you to control your own stress and reactions to it. I NEVER EVER recommend Aterax, a drug some SA GP's are too much in love with, which is NOT an effective treatment for Anxiety, and only a sedative.